Match Report


Skrill North match
played on Tuesday, 8 April 2014, at 7.45pm


Altrincham cruised to a 4-0 half time advantage. They took a fourth-minute lead when Densmore's freekick flew in from 25 yards. Then the keeper brought down Lawrie and Walshaw converted the resulting spot kick after 14 minutes.

Walshaw made it 3-0 when a Workington clearance fell to him in the box (40 mins). Two minutes later Perry headed home a Lawrie freekick to make it 4-0.

Perry and Clee engineered a fifth for Moult (52 mins). After 69 minutes Perry headed in a Lawrie corner to make it 6-0. However, Abadaki got a goal back after 76 minutes from a Fernandes pass.

Alty rose to third in the table after tonight's game.


REFEREE: Mr Marsden

Nicky Clee was fit to start but Simon Richman was ill (though on the bench) and Damian Reeves was out, injured.



(Red and white)
1. Jonny Jamieson, 2. Valter Fernandes, 3. Kyle Brownhill, 4. Gavin Skelton. 5. Darcy O'Connor, 6. Stephen Hindmarch, 7. Phil McLuckie, 8. David Lynch, 9. Godwin Abadaki, 10. Anthony Wright, 11. Ben McKenna. Subs: 12. Joe Jackson, 14. Ben Hoskin, 15. Sam Smith, 16. Scott Allison, 17. Jamie Street


(Aquamarine shirts and socks, grey shorts)
1. Stuart Coburn, 2. Shaun Densmore (capt), 3. Adam Griffin, 4. Carl Rodgers, 5. Gianluca Havern, 6. Scott Leather, 7. James Lawrie, 8. Jake Moult, 9. Kyle Perry, 10. James Walshaw, 11. Nicky Clee. Subs: 12. Simon Richman, 14. Matt Doughty, 15. Greg Wilkinson, 16. Tom Marshall, 18. Russ Saunders


The original fixture had been postponed an hour before kick-off so, for Alty, it was a second trip of the season to Borough Park.

Mike Garnett's records reveal the record in all matches between Alty and Workington.


Workington kicked off bottom of the table and all but relegated. A push on Perry earned Altrincham an early freekick, from 25 yards out in a central position. Densmore struck it impressively into the top corner to give Alty a fourth-minute lead.

For the Reds, McLuckie fired well wide from long distance before Perry fed Walshaw, who was given offside as the keeper blocked his shot (9 mins). Keeper Jamieson now smothered the ball well after Clee had played in Walshaw (11 mins).

After 14 minutes, Densmore played in Lawrie, who was upended by the keeper, giving Altrincham a penalty, but no booking for Jamieson. Walshaw netted the spot kick (15 mins).

For Workington, a McKenna shot hit Havern full on, the Reds' no.11 looking their liveliest player. It then took a Brownhill saving tackle as Walshaw was played in by Perry to keep the visitors at bay. As Alty dominated, a Densmore cross was headed out for a throw.

Following some Clee skill, Jamieson kicked clear (21 mins). The Reds played some promising football till the final third but Alty were comfortably in control. Griffin won a goalkick versus the lively right-back Fernandes whilst, at the other end, Perry, left of goal, hit a shot at the keeper. After this, Clee won a corner (28 mins).

An uneventful spell saw Clee win a corner but this period saw little else of excitement (33 mins). Two minutes later, McKenna won a corner on the right and, after 37 minutes, McKenna had a shot saved by Coburn.

The officials missed a clear Moult handball but his cross to Perry ended in a blocked effort. Alty got a third goal in the 40th minute, when Perry did well, but, in attemptng to clear inside his own box, a Reds' defender knocked the ball on to Walshaw who scored from six yards.

After Fernandes had flattened Perry, 30 yards out, the keeper came for Lawrie's freekick but Perry headed the ball home to make it 4-0 (42 mins).

Workington responded as a fierce shot, from 40 yards out on their left, was tipped over by Coburn for a corner (44 mins). But Alty retained their four-goal lead at the interval.


Early on, Clee won the ball off McLuckie but it ran to the keeper. After a McKenna cross had been cleared, Moult fired across the face of Workington's goal (49 mins). Next, after Moult had won the ball, Walshaw fired at the keeper.

Workington had a chance as McKenna did well but Abadaki delayed his shot too long to take advantage. It became 5-0 when Perry did well, alllowing Clee to advance up the left and cut the ball back to Moult, who scored with a low shot (52 mins).

A foul on Perry earned Fernandes a booking after 55 minutes, following which Clee's freekick went just over the bar (57 mins). Soon after Perry had been halted in the box, a Densmore cross earned a corner on the right.

A Reds' triple change saw Hindmarch, McLuckie and Wright replaced by Jackson, Allison and Street. At the same time, Alty took off Clee and brought Doughty on to occupy left midfield (60 mins).

After seven more uneventful minutes, Wilkinson replaced Walshaw, leaving Lawrie and Perry up front. Moments later, Perry headed in a Lawrie corner from the right to make it 6-0 (69 mins).

After 71 minutes Marshall replaced Rodgers, as Alty moved to a back three and Havern moved into midfield.

Next, Densmore won the ball and, via Perry, a Moult shot was saved (75 mins). But a defence-splitting pass from the right by Fernandes set Abadaki clear and he scored past the exposed Coburn to make it 1-6 (76 mins).

Despite the adverse scoreline, Workington were showing some spirit and, soon, a Brownhill cross had to be cleared after his good run up the left. After 82 minutes, Perry was foiled by Jamieson from a Doughty cross but, despite plenty of effort from Workington, neither side seriously threatened a goal in the closing stages.