Match Report


Skrill North match
played on Tuesday, 4 February 2014, at 7.45pm


Altrincham were fortunate to get to half-time on level terms, after Telford had taken an early lead; Grogan was allowed an unchallenged header in the sixth minute. The visitors' speed on the break threatened to add to the score but then a through ball put Walshaw clear. He still had a lot to do but drove home a fine left-footed shot to equalize in the 33rd minute.

With wind and rain against them, Alty put in a better performance for much of the second half. Indeed, a Havern header almost gave them the lead but hit the post instead. Telford finished strongly but Alty held on for a deserved point.


REFEREE: Mr Ricky Wootton

Walshaw replaced Perry while Wilkinson came in for Richman, who was ill. Ex-Alty men Baynes and Owens started for Telford, and a third, Clancy, was on the bench.



(Red and white striped shirts, red shorts and socks)
1. Stuart Coburn, 2. Shaun Densmore (capt), 3. Adam Griffin 4. Jake Moult, 5. Gianluca Havern, 6. Scott Leather, 7. Joe Mwasile, 8. Greg Wilkinson, 9. James Walshaw, 10. Damian Reeves, 11. Nicky Clee. Subs: 12. Carl Rodgers, 14. James Lawrie, 15. David Brown, 16. Kyle Perry, 18. Josh Samberg.


(Yellow shirts, blue shorts and socks)
1. Ryan Young, 2. Wes Baynes, 3. Chris Lever, 4. Dan Preston, 5. Simon Grand, 6. Michael Grogan, 7. Shaun Whalley, 8. Russell Benjamin, 9. Andy Owens, 10. Adam Farrell, 11. Mike Phenix. Subs: 12. Neill Byrne, 14. Charlie Barnett, 15. Robbie Booth, 16. Andy Pryce, 17. Sean Clancy.


Mike Garnett gives us the details of previous encounters between Altrincham and Telford United, the forerunners of AFC Telford United

This game had been rearranged after the original fixture on 11 January had been postponed.


The game kicked off in dry but blustery conditions, with the wind behind Alty as they attacked the Golf Road end. After Reeves had been felled by Grand, the resulting freekick ran to goalkeeper Young (3 mins). But the visitors took an early lead. Griffin miskicked the ball some 35 yards out and then had to track back to concede a corner on the Telford right. From this Grogan headed home, unmarked (6 mins).

For Alty, Mwasile overhit a cross but Clee won a corner on the left. Altrincham were yet to get any fluency in their play (10 mins). For the visitors, Owens won a corner despite seeming to commit a foul in the process. A second corner followed, after which came an Alty freekick (12 mins). Telford were looking dangerous as they got forward with pace and in numbers whilst Altrincham struggled to string their passes together.

Next, Havern did well to halt the marauding Whalley. Alty were causing Young little problem as first a Clee cross and then a Griffin ball ran comfortably to him (24 mins). Telford's Farrell now got to the byline but Owens's resulting shot was blocked. After this an Owens long throw led to pressure on Alty and then Densmore had to do well to stop a Whalley run (28 mins).

On the half-hour, a good run by Mwasile won Altrincham a corner on their right but Telford counter-attacked swiftly as Farrell got past three challenges before shooting over the bar (31 mins). Steady rain was now falling as, out of nothing but aided by a mix up between Benjamin and Grogan, a through ball from Moult set Walshaw in on goal, left of centre. He did well to drive a firm shot past Young to level the scores against the run of play (33 mins).

After the restart Densmore fouled Lever and was booked, after which Telford won a corner (35 mins). Then Whalley had a strong shout for a penalty which was not given before the impressive Farrell got to the byline.

At the other end, Wilkinson did well but Reeves headed a difficult chance over the bar. Then a good Altrincham move ended as Densmore’s cross just evaded his forwards but won a corner (38 mins). Following a freekick after Phenix had run into Densmore, Telford had a free header which went straight to Coburn. Following a Phenix foul on Leather, the referee had to have words with Telford manager, Liam Watson (41 mins).

Clee now helped to win a corner, which was soon followed by a second. This time Mwasile's corner just evaded Havern as Altrincham were now playing better than at the start of the game. But Telford then wasted a 4 attackers v 2 defenders counter attack, as Phenix shot poorly at Coburn. There was then a delay as half of the Skrill hoarding behind Young's goal blew off; a symbolic occurrence perhaps in the week that Skrill announced the withdrawal of their sponsorship after this season.

So half time arrived with Alty the happier of the two sides to be on level terms.


For some reason Alty were late out of the changing room and an assistant referee had to go and get them as Telford and the other match officials waited for them. There was early Telford pressure and a corner for the visitors (49 mins). The strong wind now blew back a Coburn kick as Alty battled the elements as well as Telford.

But Alty soon settled with first Mwasile and then Griffin getting forward. But weather conditions and a soft pitch precluded flowing football. After 58 minutes Rodgers and Lawrie came on for Mwasile and Wilkinson for Alty. After this, Telford went close, poking an effort over Coburn's bar. Successive fouls on Moult and Reeves gave Alty a freekick, but it was poorly taken by Lawrie.

Following a Clee cut back, Walshaw shot wide and then a Rodgers effort was deflected for a throw in the corner on the right. Alty sustained some pressure as a Moult cross was cleared off the line as Walshaw and the keeper went for the ball and it got past them both. Telford now brought Byrne on for Preston, followed moments later by Clancy, who was wearing no.17 but was listed as no.16. He replaced Phenix (64 mins).

Telford responded as Baynes won a corner and then Whalley embarked on a 50-yard run into the box. Clee and Lawrie then tried to set Walshaw free before a foul by Grogan on Lawrie gave Alty a freekick, right of goal. From Clee's freekick, Havern's header hit the back post (71 mins).

Telford's discomfort continued as Clancy was booked after he had clattered Densmore to the right of the Telford box. Young scooped away Clee's freekick before a Moult cross evaded Reeves's head but he was given offside anyway.

For Telford, Owens almost got in on goal and, soon afterwards, the same player won a corner. After 78 minutes, Perry replaced Reeves for Altrincham, with the rain now stopping (80 mins). The closing stages saw Altrincham largely on the defensive. Alty’s only chance in the closing stages arrived in the third of four added minutes. Perry made space well but his shot at goal ran weakly to Young.

Ultimately a draw was a fair outcome to a game whose quality was impaired by the difficult playing conditions. Without a win in four league games, Altrincham will look to get back on track in their next game, at home to Bradford Park Avenue.