Match Report


Blue Square Bet Premier match
played on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011, at 7.45pm


In an incident-packed match, the dismissal of Anthony Danylyk, with Alty leading 1-0 was crucial to the outcome. Port had started the game the better but Alty took the lead with a penalty. Referee Joyce told Alty press officer Brian Flynn at the interval that he gave the penalty for Davis's foul on Joseph but added that he would also have given a spot-kick for the felling of Johnson by Marsh-Evans a split second later. Damian Reeves netted from the spot in the 20th minute.

Danylyk, who had been booked for verbals in the first half then tackled from behind a Port player, who was posing no danger way out on the touchline, and the inevitable outcome was a second yellow and a red. Five minutes later Daly equalized for Southport. Despite Clee hitting the post and forcing a fine save from McMillan, and Joseph having a headed goal disallowed, Alty could not find the winner. Referee Joyce once again left Moss Lane to a chorus of boos from the Alty fans and a tirade from the Southport manager after a number of baffling decisions. The point lifts Alty out of the bottom four for the first time since August.


  • 20 mins: Damian REEVES (penalty) (ALTRINCHAM 1 Southport 0)
  • 61 mins: Steve DALY (ALTRINCHAM 1 Southport 1)

    REFEREE: Mr Ross Joyce

    ATTENDANCE: 1,210 (206 in away end)


    Alty brought Nicky Clee and Dale Johnson into the starting line-up following the impact of their introduction from the bench last Saturday at Darlington. Rob Williams was sidelined by a groin strain so missed his first game of the season and Michael Twiss moved to the bench.


    This match had been rearranged from 5 February 2011 when it was postponed due to heavy rain.

    Mike Garnett informs us of the past record of matches between these sides:

  • At Moss Lane: P16 W9 D3 L4 F23 A20
  • At Southport: P13 W3 D3 L7 F16 A22
  • Overall: P29 W12 D6 L11 F39 A42

    The reverse fixture this season ended Alty 0 Southport 1 at Haig Avenue.


    ALTRINCHAM (Red and white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 1. Stuart COBURN, 2. James SMITH, 4. Marc JOSEPH, 26. Carl PIERGIANNI, 22. Greg YOUNG, 7. Robbie LAWTON (capt), 16. Anthony DANYLYK, 18. Steven CONNORS, 11. Nicky CLEE, 8. Damian REEVES, 14. Dale JOHNSON, Subs: 30. Craig DOOTSON, 3. Jonathan BATESON, 9. Michael TWISS, 17. Wes BAYNES, 15. Ryan BROWN

    SOUTHPORT (Gold and black halves) 1. Anthony McMillan, 5. Earl Davis, 2. Kevin Lee, 3. Chris Lever, 13. Robert Marsh-Evans, 11. Matty McGinn, 8. Alan Moogan, 9. Steve Daly, 21. Aaron Turner, 7. Shaun Whalley, 10. Tony Gray, Subs: 26. John Paul Kissock, 25. Karl Ledsham, 16. Matty McNeil, 22. Steven Dickinson, 15. Robbie Williams


    Southport kicked off towards their supporters in the away end against an Alty 4-3-3 line up, the back line comprising from right to left, Smith, Joseph, Young and Piergianni. Lawton, Danylyk and Connors were the midfield whilst Johnson spearheaded the attack, Reeves and Clee being deployed to right and left respectively.

    After early probes by Southport, Dale Johnson had the first meaningful shot, which was well struck but beaten out by McMillan (2 mins). However, the visitors generally had the better of the opening period without seriously threatening a goal. They did win a corner from a smart Alty defensive block (6 mins). But play had become fairly even when Southport conceded what was, in effect, a double penalty.

    It came following a Southport foul on the Alty left about 40 yards out. Connors's well taken freekick dropped into the box where, first, Davis fouled Joseph and, almost at the same time, Marsh-Evans manhandled Johnson to the ground. Referee Joyce later explained that he had given the spot-kick for the Davis incident but would also have given a penalty for the Marsh-Evans offence. Neither player was booked for the fouls but Davis was cautioned for dissent (19 mins).

    From a long run-up Damian Reeves smacked home the penalty, his 18th goal of the season - 14 of them in the Conference (20 mins). Alty arguably doubled their lead in the 22nd minute when Joseph's header was cleared on or, as spectators behind the goal claimed, behind the line by Lee.

    Clee was then pulled up by the referee after taking a quick throw before play stopped for treatment to Turner (29 mins). Coburn then spilled the ball but regathered it before any damage was done following which Alty put together a good passing move, involving Lawton twice and ending with Johnson being ruled offside. Moments later good play by Reeves gave Johnson a low shot which McMillan did well to save (33 mins).

    An Alty corner soon followed, with Connors taking this and most of the dead balls tonight. James Smith then surged up the right wing but delivered a disappointing cross. Alty then had Danylyk booked when he spoke out of turn (41 mins).

    Both sides had to make changes just before the interval. Williams replaced Lee for Port and two minutes later Bateson came on for Alty's Smith (45+1 mins). There was now a bizarre period of play during which no one except Mr Joyce knew was going on. The managers asked the fourth official how much added time there was; he appeared not to know and Mr Joyce wasn't telling. This continued for almost four and a half minutes before the referee blew for half-time.

    In the closing stages a Dale Johnson header flashed inches wide of the Southport goal (45+3 mins).


    Ledsham replaced Turner for Southport at the interval. The second half then got off to a fairly uneventful opening few minutes, the first incident of note being Joseph's quick-thinking in taking a freekick from his own half, having spotted McMillan off his line. The keeper scampered back but the ball cleared the bar (52 mins). A trip by substitute Ledsham did not get the booking it merited.

    An Alty attack then saw Reeves on the ball in the box but he was shepherded across the area and when his shot hit a defender's arm, appeals for a penalty were turned down. In the aftermath, Danylyk went in on a Southport player from behind and the inevitable punishment was a second yellow and then a red card for the Alty midfielder. The incident had happened in an unthreatening situation but left Alty facing more than half an hour with ten men (56 mins).

    Within five minutes Southport had levelled as Coburn elected to stay on his line and Daly took advantage of Whalley's cross from the right to score from close range (61 mins).

    Alty then took off Damian Reeves and brought on Wes Baynes (63 mins). Williams was then booked for Southport before ex-Alty striker, Matthew McNeil came on for Gray (65 mins). From a Connors freekick from the left Clee's powerful volley was narrowly wide of the back post; it would have been a spectacular goal had it gone in (67 mins). And three minutes later a fine shot from 30 yards by Clee hit the Southport post forcibly from 30 yards.

    Johnson was now booked for unsporting behaviour (71 mins). Soon after this Clee was flattened by Lever and nearby Connors went down with a Southport player. At one point there were four players on the deck. The outcome was a straight red for Lever which evened up the game at ten a side (73 mins).

    Immediately McMillan started blatant time wasting at goal kicks and repeated this antic several times. Mr Joyce took no more action than to look at his watch to indicate he had seen the offences. Clee was felled again soon afterwards and now Moogan saw yellow from Mr Joyce (78 mins). There was then a strange incident when McMillan, having taken an eternity to take another goalkick, planted it into touch. To the amazement of Alty Mr Joyce gave Port a freekick, presumably ruling that the ball had not gone put of play and had been handled. But he allowed the freekick to be taken seven or eight yards in from the touchline.

    When Davis pushed over an Alty player in the back, a foul was given but Mr Joyce elected not to show a second yellow to the booked defender. Immediately after this Clee got clear and raced towards goal but McMillan did well to tip his shot out for a corner (85 mins). From this, Joseph dived to head the ball into the net but the effort was ruled out.

    Alty looked the more likely to get a winner but despite four added minutes they could not do so. Although the point was sufficient to lift Alty out of the relegation places for the first time in seven months, it was disappointing that they could not capitalize on their lead.

    Mr Joyce left the pitch, having his ear bent by Liam Watson, the Southport manager, and being booed by the home fans.