Match Report


Blue Square Bet Premier game
played on Saturday, 27 November 2010, at 3pm


Altrincham suffered their second successive heavy defeat with this 4-0 loss to Cambridge United. And, for the second week running Shaun Densmore had a penalty saved which would have been a slight consolation but would not have altered the outcome.

After Altrincham had won three early corners, they fell behind in the 15th minute when former Histon striker Danny Wright converted a right-wing, low cross from Patrick. Eight minutes later, Wayne Gray made it 2-0 following a debatable freekick awarded on the edge of the Alty box. Coburn beat out the fierce free kick only for Gray to net the loose ball.

After 56 minutes Gray scored from close range from a right wing feed by the impressive Patrick to make it 3-0. Wright grabbed the fourth from close range from Willmott's speculative cross from the left (65 mins). Alty were much improved after Beesley, Denham and Holsgrove all came on to improve the attacking options. But when a needless foul on Denham gave Densmore a chance to salvage some team pride from the spot, he produced a replica of the penalty kick which he had saved last week, Naisbitt keeping it out comfortably (81 mins).


  • 15 mins: Danny WRIGHT (Cambridge United 1 ALTRINCHAM 0)
  • 23 mins: Wayne GRAY (Cambridge United 2 ALTRINCHAM 0)
  • 56 mins: Wayne GRAY (Cambridge United 3 ALTRINCHAM 0)
  • 65 mins: Danny WRIGHT (Cambridge United 4 ALTRINCHAM 0)

    REFEREE: Mr Simon Long

    ATTENDANCE: 2,123 (51 in away end)


    Leading scorer Damian Reeves was sidelined with gastro-enteritis, so Alty started with Michael Twiss up front and new loan signing Mark Beesley on the bench. James Smith captained the side with club captain Robbie Lawton not named in the squad

    On the eve of the match Alty recalled Kevin Holsgrove from his loan at Hyde and he was on the bench today. Meanwhile Cambridge boss, Martin Ling, gave teenage winger Jordan Patrick his first start.


    Mike Garnett's records tell us that Altrincham and Cambridge United had met 10 times previously...

  • At Moss Lane: P5 W3 D0 L2 F8 A6
  • At The Abbey: P5 W0 D3 L2 F3 A8
  • Total: P10 W3 D3 L4 F11 A14


    CAMBRIDGE UNITED (Amber and black): 1. Danny Naisbitt, 6. David Partridge, 3. James Jennings, 2. Kevin Roberts, 4. Josh Coulson, 7. Simon Russell, 11. Robbie Willmott, 15. Paul Carden, 16. Wayne Gray, 20. Jordan Patrick,9. Danny Wright. Subs: 30. Simon Brown, 14. Conal Platt, 19. Adam Marriott, 12. Rory McAuley, 21. Alex Stavrinou,

    ALTRINCHAM (All white): 1. Stuart COBURN, 27. Andrew MILNE, 2. James SMITH (capt), 5. Robbie WILLIAMS, 4. Marc JOSEPH, 6. Shaun DENSMORE, 25. Matt SOMNER, 15. Ryan BROWN, 17. Wes BAYNES, 11. Nicky CLEE,9. Michael TWISS. Subs: 10. Chris DENHAM, 21. James COATES, 16. Anthony DANYLYK, 12. Kevin HOLSGROVE, 19. Mark BEESLEY


    After changing ends, Altrincham kicked off in bitterly cold conditions with a small pile of snow behind the goal they were attacking at the away end evidence of why a pitch inspection had been necessary at 10am.

    After an early Cambridge attack, Alty started well winning three corners. From the first, Joseph nodded over, in the third minute. Then, after Cambridge had gone close with a Gray header from a Willmott cross which just cleared the bar, Alty won two more corners in succession (11 mins). Following the last corner, Clee sliced a shot well over the bar when the ball was cleared to him, 20 yards out.

    But United took the lead in the 15th minute, when Patrick, who had already threatened with some good runs up the right, crossed low into the box where Wright steered the ball into the net from a close-range, central position. Clee led the response with a good dribble but his clipped cross cum shot drifted just wide of the back post from the left (17 mins).

    In the 23rd minute, Somner was harshly penalized on the front edge of the box as Wright went to ground. The freekick was blasted at goal by former Alty left-back James Jennings, where Coburn made a good stop, but the loose ball ran to Gray who made it 2-0. To the amusement of the travelling support it was announced that all spectators would be able to claim a free burrito from a local Mexican food outlet as Gray had been the matchday programme's featured player!

    Play soon stopped when Wright followed through on the keeper as he went for a ball which Coburn gathered ahead of him; the Alty keeper needed treatment before being able to continue (25 mins). The lack of censure of the Cambridge forward was followed by another decision which angered the visiting fans when Clee took on Roberts but, as the Alty man threatened to get free into the box, he was pulled back, without the officials noticing anything.

    It took a one-handed save from Coburn to stop a Cambridge shot from the right, as Alty remained very much on the back foot. However, a defensive error gave Alty some respite as a miscued kick gave away an unnecessary corner. This almost produced a goal as Jospeh flicked the ball in the box on to Densmore, whose effort was cleared off the line. But Cambridge could not clear properly and the ball came to Smith but he volleyed over the bar (40 mins).

    In the 45th minute a trip by Milne on Patrick near half way earned the Alty defender a yellow card. After a minute of added time, the half ended with Cambridge deservedly 2-0 up after having much the better of the game. Altrincham had striggled to string any series of passes together with Clee looking their only serious threat going forward.


    The bitterly cold weather continued the two unchanged sides line up for the second half. On a counter attack Gray had to be stopped by a fine block from Clee inside the Altrincham box (49 mins). Smith then vented his frustration on Willmott who had needlessly pushed him after the ball had gone out of play. The Alty captain pushed the Cambridge man away and both he and Willmott were lectured.

    Though Alty were still not threatening, they were holding their own until Patrick got to the by-line, right of goal and fed Gray who, from close range, slotted the ball betwen Coburn's left hand and the post to make it 3-0 (56 mins). Baynes replied by winning a corner from a deflected shot before the visitors made a double swap. Milne and Twiss were taken off as attacking duo Denham and Beesley came on (62 mins).

    But soon after this, Naisbitt turned an Alty threat into a Cambridge attack with a 50-yard throw to Willmott, which led to a corner. The corner was only half cleared and came to Willmott, again, on the left. His first time cross landed in the goalmouth where the Alty defence froze as Wright stole in to poke the ball home from close range; 4-0 after 67 minutes.

    Beesley then landed an Alty shot on target before Marriott replaced Wright for United (72 mins). Altrincham then put together their best passing move of the game but it ended, unfortunately, with Clee skying a shot miles over the bar (75 mins). Next, Willmott gave way to Platt for Cambridge (76 mins). Alty then continued to play some decent football, though how much was due to the introduction of the attack-minded Beesley and Denham and how much to Cambridge taking their foot off the pedal was debatable.

    With eleven minutes left Kevin Holsgrove replaced Baynes for Alty. Two minutes later, Denham who was heading left across the front of the box was unnecessarily brought down by McAuley and the referee pointed to the spot. Densmore, who had seen his spot kick saved last Saturday at Crawley, showed some bottle by immediately picking up the ball and placing it on the spot. But, sadly, he simply replicated the kick he had taken at Crawley, with the same result; the keeper saving fairly comfortably to his left (81 mins).

    Nevertheless, heads did not drop and Altrincham continued to compete to the end, even without the consolation of a goal from the spot. But the goal difference is now minus 31 and Alty remain rooted to the foot of the table. In this game Altrincham never seriously looked like getting any reward but there was a marked improvement in the last quarter with Beesley giving an encouraging performance on his debut.