Match Report


Pre-season friendly match to mark the
Centenary of Moss Lane,
played on Tuesday, 27 July 2010, at 7.45pm


Macclesfield Town deservedly won this friendly match staged to commemorate 100 years of football at Moss Lane but a late flurry from Altrincham gave the visitors some concerns. Tyrone Barrett put the Silkmen 1-0 ahead in the 41st minute when he turned inside Robbie Wiiliams, and also got the better of James Smith, on the edge of the box before slotting a fine goal past Stuart Coburn. Emile Sinclair made it 2-0 after 63 minutes when from a counter-attack he expertly took the ball round Coburn after Alty had lost possession just inside the opposition half.

The second half witnessed heavy use of substitutes by both sides and it was one of these, former Everton youngster Tom McCready who scored a fine headed goal for Altrincham in the 85th minute to give Macclesfield some tense moments in the closing stages. Alty's goal came after a well-judged ball forward up the right by Williams found former TNS man and current trialist, Matt Holt. His excellent cross found the head of McCready.

This was a much improved performance on Saturday's showing at Curzon Ashton, with former Rotherham man, Marc Joseph (seen right during the game), impressing on the left of the back line and Dale Johnson again showing some good touches on his way back to fitness. Report to follow


  • 41 mins: Tyrone BARRETT (ALTRINCHAM 0 Macclesfield Town 1)
  • 63 mins: Emile SINCLAIR (ALTRINCHAM 0 Macclesfield Town 2)
  • 85 mins: Tom McCREADY (ALTRINCHAM 1 Macclesfield Town 2)

    REFEREE: Mr Mark Heywood



    Altrincham included two new names amongst their trialists in tonight's squad. They were former Wrexham man Nathan Fairhurst, who was used, and John McAuley, who was not. The other trialists in the squad, but not all of whom got onto the pitch, were former Rotherham defender Marc Joseph, midfielder Matty Crowell, who played for Alty at the start of last season, Tom McCready, a former Everton youngster, Danny Holmes (ex-Burton midfielder), Matt Heywood (ex-Grimsby defender), Matt Holt (ex-TNS) and Adam Nowland (ex-Blackpool midfielder). Chris Denham was out with a minor injury and Anthony Danylyk was still on holiday.

    Macclesfield deployed most of their first-team squad, which included former Altrincham midfielder Lewis Chalmers. Another familiar face was José Veiga, the Cape Verdean goalkeeper who had previously played for Tamworth against Altrincham.


    This pre-season game was arranged to mark the centenary of Moss Lane; the first competitive match was played here in September 1910 between Altrincham and Macclesfield. Alty's five previous friendlies this summer had produced indifferent results as a large cast of trialists were given their chance to impress against clubs from the EvoStik First Division and Welsh football.


    ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts and red socks): 1. Stuart COBURN, 5. Robbie WILLIAMS, 4. James SMITH, 6. Marc JOSEPH, 2. Shaun DENSMORE, 7. Robbie LAWTON, 8. Matty CROWELL, 11. Nicky CLEE, 3. Ryan BROWN, 9. Michael TWISS, 10. Damian REEVES. Subs: 12. Dale JOHNSON, 13. Russell SAUNDERS (not used), 14. Adam CARDEN, 15. Tom McCREADY, 16. Nathan FAIRHURST, 17. Danny HOLMES (not used), 18. Matt HEYWOOD (not used), 19. Matthew HOLT, 20. Adam NOWLAND, 21. Josh McCAULEY (not used).

    MACCLESFIELD TOWN (All blue): 1. José VEIGA, 2. Izak REID, 16. Shaun BRISLEY, 5. Nat BROWN, 3. Carl TREMARCO, 20. Matt HAMSHAW, 7. Lewis CHALMERS, 21. Richard BUTCHER, 11. Colin DANIEL, 23. Tyrone BARRETT, 20. Emile SINCLAIR. Subs: 13. Jack CUDWORTH, 19. Matt LOWE, 4. Hamza BENCHERIF, 6. Jason BEARDSLEY, 15. Paul BOLLAND, 26. Adam ROBERTS, 17. Sam WEDGBURY, 24. Vinny MUKENDI.


    This first home game of pre-season kicked off on a mild, looking into a strong evening sun on an excellent pitch prepared by Neil Brown. The League Two side got into their stride the quicker but only Barrett's blaze over the bar in the opening minutes could be considered a clear attempt at goal. Following a Chalmers long throw, Macc won the first of two corners in quick succession. The first one, taken by Sinclair, saw Barrett have an effort cleared off the line (6 mins). Barrett, acquired from Hednesford Town, and Sinclair were to prove a useful combination for the Silkmen and when the latter's cross only narrowly evaded the former's head, Alty boss Graham Heathcote was irate at his team's failure to prevent the dangerous cross into their goalmouth (9 mins).

    Altrincham began to settle and after Ryan Brown had done well to beat Reid he fired in a shot which went across goal and past the far post (12 mins). Soon after this, a Brown cross from the left narrowly evaded Reeves's attempted scissor kick at the back post (13 mins).

    After a Macclesfield corner had been dealt with, a long throw from Nicky Clee, who was looking lively for Altrincham, was allowed to bounce in the box but it eventually came to Veiga (19 mins). The Barrett and Sinclair combination again threatened when Densmore was dispossessed to the right of the Alty goal and it took a superb save from Coburn to keep out Sinclair's firm shot (25 mins). Macclesfield went even closer in the 29th minute when a Sinclair cross was struck against the crossbar by Barrett.

    Alty responded with a great chance of their own as Reeves was put through on goal. The striker got round Veiga, to the right of goal but could not find the net from a sharp angle (31 mins). Next, Veiga had to come out to head clear as Altrincham made a game of it. Macc did put the ball in the net but only after a foul on Lawton, for which they were penalised (37 mins).

    After an Alty attack had broken down, the ball was played up to Barrett who had first Williams and then Smith to contend with in the front centre of the box. But the striker turned Williams and then also evaded Smith smartly to make an opening which he seized on by shooting past Coburn to record a very well-taken goal (41 mins).

    Half-time soon arrived with Macclesfield Town holding a one-goal lead.


    At the interval Macclesfield Town generously presented Alty chairman Geoff Goodwin with a memento of the centenary of football at Moss Lane, which was much appreciated. Before the game resumed, Altrincham brought on trialist Adam Nowland and striker Dale Johnson in place of Robbie Lawton and Nicky Clee. Macclesfield went close inside the first minute before Alty won a freekick which Brown drove into the wall. Next, Reeves threaded an excellent pass to Johnson who got free of the defence but stroked his shot wide (49 mins).

    Mukendi now replaced Barrett for the visitors (53 mins) and two Macclesfield corners immediately followed. From the second, Hamshaw, a recent signing from Notts County, turned and forced a save from Coburn as Alty remained on the back foot. On the hour mark, Bolland and Wedgbury came on for Macc's Chalmers and Daniel.

    Altrincham then enjoyed some possession just inside the Macc half but they did not have the ball properly under control as it went in the air from player to player. Finally, Twiss's header dropped for an opponent and the ball was soon played forward to Sinclair who drew Coburn before smoothly taking the ball round him, to the left of goal, and netting his side's second goal (63 mins).

    The scorer was immediately substituted by Roberts whilst trialist Matthew Holt replaced Twiss for Altrincham (64 mins). The changes continued as Macc changed their keeper, former Rhyl man Cudworth replacing Veiga. Moments later, Coburn made a fine save when Mukendi turned impressively and fired in a shot (71 mins). A minute later there were three more changes as trialists Nathan Fairhurst (ex-Wrexham) and Tom Cready (ex-Everton reserves) replaced Reeves and Crowell for Alty and Macc brought on Bencherif for Brown.

    Altrincham threatened when Densmore's excellent cross from the right found Nowland at the back post and he headed back into the goalmouth but there was no Alty man there to take advantage (75 mins). Johnson continued to show some good control as he continued to his progress towards full fitness after his long lay-off. Alty had an escape when Butcher fed Wedgbury but Joseph got in an excellent tackle. Next, a Nowland shot from 20 yards was held by Cudworth before Lowe and Beardsley replaced Reid and Tremarco at full back for the Silkmen. At the same time Carden replaced Brown (83 mins).

    Altrincham then produced a good six-pass move involving Carden, Johnson, Densmore, Nowland and Williams, who played a fine ball up the right wing to Holt. The tall wingman got to the by-line but as he got there he had few options until McCready arrived late and he executed an excellent header to convert Holt's well directed cross into a goal (85 mins).

    The goal lifted Altrincham and when Carden went down in the box it seemed that a penalty might have saved the day for the hosts (87 mins). But the referee gave nothing. Next, McCready advanced up the left and fired in a well struck shot from 25 yards which went narrowly wide (89 mins). That was the last chance as little added time was played despite the numerous substitutions and the final whistle soon sounded.

    Macclesfield were deserved winners and particularly up front they look to have a promising side for the 2010-11 League Two campaign.