Match Report


Blue Square Premier match
played on Tuesday, 23 February 2010, at 7.45pm


Gateshead deservedly beat Altrincham thanks to a 35 yard goal from Craig Baxter after 74 minutes. Before that Densmore hit the post for Altrincham but otherwise Alty created little on a heavy pitch swept by a cold, gusty wind. Gateshead seemed to have more appetite for the conditions and after a fairly even first half, they had the better of the second.


  • 74 mins: Craig Baxter (Gateshead 1 Altrincham 0)

    REFEREE: Mr Jez Simpson (Lancaster)



    Coburn was back in goal after missing the game on Saturday with a shoulder injury. Following his knock on Saturday, Lawton gave way to McAliskey in the starting line up.


    This game was postponed to today's date due to Gateshead's Trophy replay with Barrow. Gateshead were unlucky not to take anything from the game at Moss Lane earlier this season, which Alty won 3-2. This was Altrincham's third away game in their last four matches, all of which had been round trips of more than 300 miles.


    GATESHEAD (White shirts, black shorts): 13. Paul Farman, 2. Craig Baxter, 5. James Curtis, 6.Carl Jones, 27. Paul Heckingbottom; 12. Andy Parkinson, 4. Kris Gate (capt), 28. Andy Ferrell, 26. Peter Winn; 23. Brian Wake, 25. Daryl Clare. Subs 1. Jim Provett, 8. Phil Turnbull, 15.Chris Swailes, 22. James Sinclair, 9. Graeme Armstrong

    ALTRINCHAM (Yellow and blue shirts, blue shorts, yellow socks): 1. Stuart COBURN, 12. Robbie WILLIAMS, 2. James SMITH, 5. Greg YOUNG; 6. Shaun DENSMORE, 4. Tom KEARNEY (capt), 16. Anthony DANYLYK, 11. Nicky CLEE; 19. Chris SENIOR, 10. Chris DENHAM; 7. John McALISKEY. Subs: 13. Russell SAUNDERS, 27. Ryan BROWN, 9. Colin LITTLE, 18. Michael WELCH, 7. Robbie LAWTON.


    Altrincham kicked off this game, some three minutes late, on a bitterly cold night and on a heavy pitch which was, nevertheless, perfectly playable. The Robins deployed McAliskey as a lone striker, with Senior and Denham playing behind him. Following a Kearney freekick from 35 yards, Alty won the game's first corner (7 mins). But the next two corners went to the 'Heed' as Alty's Nicky Clee became the game's busiest man, taking a series of long throws, whilst also kept busy marking Gateshead's Andy Parkinson (11 mins).

    The first decent shot of the game was Wake's shot across goal which just missed the back post, from a Baxter feed (17 mins). Baxter, like Clee, was also busy with throw-ins in a game which struggled to produce any flowing football at this stage.

    Gateshead threatened again in the 21st minute when a cross from the left led to Clare heading over the bar when he might have done better to leave the ball to Parkinson. Next, after allowing Gateshead the advantage, referee Simpson went back to book Denham for a foul near half way (22 mins).

    Clee's long throws and a series of freekicks remained Alty's most potent weapon as Gateshead played a better passing game than their visitors. A late challenge on Danylyk by Baxter earned him a yellow card (26 mins). Following the freekick, Clee fired narrowly wide from outside the box. Alty enjoyed a good spell as the half-hour mark passed, with a Denham header going to Farman. But Gateshead then went close again as, amidst appeals for an Alty handball, the visitors scrambled the ball away inside their own box.

    The resulting corner was nodded narrowly wide. As play continued, it took a great Young tackle to stop another home attack (39 mins), followed by an equally fine block from Williams, soon afterwards as Gateshead applied some more pressure. This pattern continued to half time, as the hosts won a corner (45 mins). But, in added time, a freekick from 45 yards by Densmore was nodded on by Williams but a stretching Young could not quite connect properly at the back post.


    Alty's only sights of goal in the first half had been coming from set pieces and throws, and this continued as Williams's swivel shot following a Kearney freekick opened the second half. But Gateshead soon won a corner, which Smith got clear but play was now fairly scrappy.

    However, Alty almost took the lead in the 56th minute when Clee and Danylyk got the ball to McAliskey, who laid it off well for the incoming Densmore to fire a low shot across goal, which came back off the upright and was cleared. Soon, at the other end, the impressive Winn got past Densmore and crossed from the left, the ball just evading Clare in front of goal(59 mins).

    Altrincham made a double switch as Clee and McAliskey gave way to Lawton and Brown (63 mins). These changes meant that Alty went 3-5-2 with the subdued Denham and Senior now up front. Both sets of fans were giving their sides good support as the home side won a corner, which came to nothing (68 mins).

    Turnbull then replaced Gate for Gateshead (70 mins). Though Gateshead were enjoying more of the attacking possession, the match had 0-0 written all over it until Baxter beat COburn from 35 yards with a well-hit strike (74 mins). Alty responded by bringing on striker Little for midfielder Kearney (76 mins). Alty soon won a corner but it was not long before Gateshead were again applying pressure.

    Altrincham were not creating any real threat to the home goal as time ticked away. Indeed, Gateshead won the next corner before they replaced Wake by Armstrong (85 mins). A freekick which just evaded Denham in the box was Alty's nearest effort at this stage (87 mins). But it was in the three added minutes that Alty's best attacking spell of the game arrived; but it was too late. Denham fired wide to precipitate a scrambled clearance from Gateshead but that was as near Alty came to an equaliser.

    Gateshead deserved their win as they showed more appetite for the game against an Alty side sufering the effects of four games, three of them long away trips, in the past ten days.