Match Report


Nationwide Conference National Match
played on Sunday, 30 October 2005 at 2 pm.


  • Match: Edwards Roofing
  • Matchball: T L Darby
  • Programme:


    Though Burton had most of the attacking play, their only goal came in dubious circumstances when an attempted clearance by Scott, 40 yards out on the Alty left, came off Hall's hand, setting him free up the Burton right to feed Anderson, inside him, for an easy conversion (20 mins). James had fired just wide from a golden chance in the first minute. The Alty defence held firm but in the last minute, Munroe rounded off his unhappy afternoon by getting sent off apparently for kicking the ball away after a foul by the already-booked Owen. Both Alty men will now be suspended; Munroe for his dismissal and Owen for his 5th caution of the season. Alty's final misfortune was a harsh penalty award against Adams for a challenge which left him unable to continue. But with the game into the 5th minute of added time, Coburn produced yet another penalty save to add to his impressive total of spot-kick stops. Report to follow.


  • 20 mins: Dale ANDERSON (Burton Albion 1 Altrincham 0)

    REFEREE: Mr. O..Langford (Darlaston)

    ATTENDANCE: 1,375

    This was Alty's first visit to Burton's new Pirelli stadium, an impressive if somewhat austere ground. The pitch was soft, especially along the main stand touchline.The sides had last met in the UniBond Premier Division in which Burton had spent one season before promotion to the Conference. At kick off, Burton were bottom of the table and had yet to keep a league clean-sheet, whilst Alty lay 15th.


    Mark Maddox returned, as captain, replacing the injured Gary Talbot. Kyle Wilson came in for his first start, on the left, whilst Pat McFadden made his first appearance on the bench after hitting 20 goals for the reserves this season. Lutel James was also making his first league start for Altrincham.

    Despite rumours to the contrary, Burton's Webster was fit, whilst keeper Deeney, on loan for Notts County, remained in goal. Dale Anderson was making his 300th appearance for the Brewers.


    BURTON ALBION (Yellow shirts, black shorts and socks): 31. Saul DEENEY, 3. Arron WEBSTER, 4. Andy CORBETT, 5. Darren TINSON, 6. Ryan AUSTIN, 7. Darren STRIDE, 8. Dale ANDERSON, 9. Jon SHAW, 11. Keith GILROY, 12. Chris HALL, 22. Lee BELL. Subs: 2. Terry HENSHAW, 10. Andy DUCROS, 13. Martin TAYLOR (gk), 14. Shaun HARRAD, 19. Andy TODD.

    ALTRINCHAM: 1. Stuart COBURN (wore shirt 27), 17. Karl MUNROE, 15. Peter BAND, 4. Mark MADDOX, 3. Chris ADAMS, 11. Gary SCOTT, 9. Colin LITTLE, 8. Val OWEN, 29. Kyle WILSON. 7. Colin POTTS, 18. Lutel JAMES. Subs: 10. Rod THORNLEY, 14. Lewis CHALMERS, 21. Stephen ROSE, 23. Kirk HILTON, 28. Patrick McFADDEN


    Goalscoring has been a severe problem for Alty this season but a fine ball forward from Colin Little, playing in midfield, saw Lutel James make space well but shoot narrowly wide from just outside the box with the game barely a minute old. But Burton almost responded with a goal themselves as the impressive Hall fed Anderson, up the right touchline. Anderson's pace took him past Maddox to the right of goal and his shot forced a fine block by Coburn (2 mins). After this bright start, Burton gradually got the upper hand.

    Val Owen got himself booked for kicking the ball gently away after conceding a free-kick and he will now be suspended for receiving five bookings this season (17 mins). After an Alty freekick in midfield, Scott attempted to play the ball up the left from a position near the touchline, just inside his own half. The ball clearly struck Hall's right arm, which took it past Scott and left Hall and Anderson racing up the right towards goal. Hall played a short pass inside to Anderson, who gave Coburn no chance as he made it 1-0 (20 mins). Despite strong Alty protests, Mr. Langford allowed the goal to stand.

    Adams soon saw Alty's second yellow card for a trip on Hall near the centre-line (22 mins). The ref once again annoyed Alty as he allowed Bell to get free after a foul on Little but Coburn made his second fine save of the game. After Potts had done very well to get onto Adams's ball to the left corner flag, the ball was half-cleared to Owen, whose well-hit, low shot was superbly saved by Deeney to his left (27 mins).

    After Munroe had been barged over, Stride put a shot over the bar and on the half-hour, Bell flashed a shot across the Alty goal. For Alty, Band and Maddox were doing well at the back but further forward, Alty were causing Burton few real problems. Potts did win a freekick 25 yards out but Adams overhit it behind the goal (33 mins). Soon after a spat between Munroe and Shaw had earned each of them a lecture, Webster forced a good save from Coburn with a shot from the left (35 mins). From the resulting corner, Owen headed clear near the post. However Wilson now won Alty a corner but the visitors remained second best. A fine tackle from Maddox left Anderson injured and he needed treatment. Little, Owen, Band, Munroe and James then got the ball to Potts but his ambitious chip from right of goal floated over the bar (45 mins). In the two minutes of added time James was easily seen off from an intelligent feed by Little.



    Anderson was unable to continue for the second half, so Harrad replaced him at the interval for Burton. The Brewers threatened after 49 mins when Gilroy made an air-shot from inside the box but he reacted quickly to feed Shaw who shot narrowly wide of Coburn's left post (49 mins). Soon after, Webster made a hash of a Burton free-kick but then Potts's poor pass left Munroe in difficulty and allowed Harrad to get up the left and feed Shaw, who shot narrowly wide. Munroe was soon in trouble again, this time of his own making, as he allowed a ball across the pitch to reach Gilroy, but Band came across to make a fine covering tackle. Two Burton corners followed in quick succession (56 mins). Soon after Coburn had had to come out 25 yards to clear, Alty brought on McFadden for his first-team debut in place of Potts (60 mins).

    Munroe was booked for a late lunge on Hall near the corner flag. Though Alty did not look like scoring, a good cross from McFadden from the left, almost found James but won Alty a corner. After 71 minutes, Alty made another change, as Chalmers replaced Wilson. Mark Maddox became Alty's fourth booked player for a body check (77 mins). An error by Munroe led to Burton switching the ball to the right where they won a corner, as Maddox made an important interception. With Little now pushed forward, with McFadden and James, Alty were still not out of it as Burton had failed to capitalise on their possession. Webster squandered an opening, shooting over when Alty were slow to react to Gilroy's short free-kick. A prodigious long throw by Chalmers, from the right to the back post, came to McFadden but he put the chance over (83 mins). With 4 minutes left, Burton brought on former Hucknall man, Andy Todd in place of Gilroy on the left. Two minutes later, Scott gave way to Thornley for Alty (88 mins). When Owen fouled Todd on the left touchline, the ref reached for his pocket but it was Munroe, not Owen, who was dismissed, apparently for kicking the ball away (90 mins). It was Alty's first red card this season.

    In the decalered three minutes of added time, Todd got past Band on the Burton left but Adams came across, to just right of the penalty spot, where he got the ball but his opponent made the most of any contact, to win a debatable penalty. After lengthy treatment from Richard Norris, Adams hobbled off. When Webster finally took the penalty, Coburn made yet another great save to add to the many spot-kicks he has stopped in his career (90+5 mins). With this win, Burton became the only club currently below Alty to have beaten them this season. On the positive side, there was a promising debut from Pat McFadden who showed a willingness to run at the opposition - but the goal drought continues with just 2 goals from open play in the last 10 league matches.