Match Report


Pre-Season Friendly Match,
played on Saturday, 31 July, 2004
at 3p.m.


  • Match:
  • Matchball:
  • Programme:


    CHEADLE TOWN (Yellow shirts & socks, blue shorts): 1. WHITTLE, 2. ?, 3. KEMPTON, 4. BROCKLEHURST, 5. RILEY, 6. STOKES, 7. McCONNELL, 8. Martin McDONALD, 9. WAKEFIELD, 10. FLANAGAN, 11. HARPER. Subs: 12. JOHNSON, 14. SMITH, 15. BURKE, 16. KEENE, 17. REDSHAW.

    ALTRINCHAM RESERVES (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts and black socks): 1. Steve EVERALL, 2. James MARSDEN (capt.), 3. Matt TOOTH, 4. George MELLING, 5. "Shaka" SHAW, 6. ADIO Marchant, 7. Levi KENNEDY, 8. Jamie ALMOND, 9. Dwaine LYNSEY, 10. Otis THOMAS, 11. Stevie TAYLOR. Subs: 12. Lewis CHALMERS, 13. BILLY BLOWER (gk), 14. Rio NELSON, 15. Rico RICHARDS, 16. Adam DOUTHWAITE, 5* Daniel DOHERTY. Also named but not used, Kieran JAMES, Paul MONAGHAN.

    This match pitched Cheadle Town's first team from the NW Counties League against Altrincham's Reserves on a warm afternoon at Park Road, directly under the very busy Manchester Airport flight path. Alty employed the same squad which played the previous game against Stockport County, with the addition of goalkeeper Billy Blower, who with fellow substitute today, Danny Doherty, had played previously for Alty Youth in a trial match against Wright Robinson College in March 2004. Neil Brown's side also included several ex-Alty Youth regulars of recent years in the shape of Matt Tooth, Levi Kennedy, Otis Thomas, Stevie Taylor, Adam Douthwaite, Lewis Chalmers and Rico Richards. The team captain was James Marsden who was with Alty Reserves before they were disbanded in 2002 and has also been with Southport, whilst vice-captain George Melling had played against Alty Youth for Morecambe 'A' in a NWYA cup final two seasons ago at Bamber Bridge. Alty's side also included Jamie Almond, who made a substitute appearance for Alty's first team at the end of last season as well as being involved in some of the first team's pre-season games this summer.

    Left: Otis Thomas. Right: Rio Nelson and Rico Richards.

    Cheadle Town included former Macclesfield Town midfielder Martin McDonald, who also had a brief spell at Alty in the late 1990s.

    Watched by a respectably sized crowd, Cheadle kicked off and the early stages were fairly even. Cheadle had slightly the better of the opening stages but Marsden, Melling, Shaw and Tooth were a firm back line for Alty. Home keeper Whittle then had to rush out to head clear from Almond but it was Cheadle who won the first corner after 13 minutes. After conceding seven goals to a strong Stockport County side, the defence today was looking strong in a 4-4-2 formation and Shaw did well to tackle Wakefield when the Town man threatened. Alty had the lively Lynsey and Thomas up front whilst Adio was looking useful alongside Almond in central midfield. After a McDonald shot had been blocked, the ball came via Flanagan to McConnell, whose shot from the right was tipped onto the crossbar by Everall (18 mins). Cheadle were now having more of the territorial possession without threatening too seriously whilst Alty were caught offside on several occasions when they tried to get forward. However, Alty then won two corners in succession. Before the first could be taken, Lewis Chalmers replaced Jamie Almond in midfield (31 mins). After the second corner, by Taylor, had been cleared, a good shot from Flanagan brought a fine stop from Everall at the other end, at the cost of a corner to Cheadle (32 mins).

    But soon Taylor fed Lynsey, who won a free-kick in the left corner, before Taylor and Chalmers combined to produce another Alty corner kick on the left won by Thomas, as the game continued from end to end (35 mins). Adio next fed Lynsey, who beat two men, and the ball ran to Thomas but his shot was saved (41 mins). Just before the interval, Wakefield fed McDonald, who shot wide of the Alty goal (43 mins). Half-time arrived with the game scoreless and evenly balanced.


    Right: James Marsden in front of Rico Richards.

    Cheadle made six changes at the interval bringing on all their outfield subs and a new keeper. For their part, Alty brought on Richards and Nelson up front, Blower in goal and Douthwaite at right-back, with Everall, Shaw, Lynsey and Thomas being withdrawn. Nelson soon impressed with a low shot at the keeper and some good play by Kennedy followed as Alty now looked more lively going forward. After Blower had made a good save from McConnell, Richards fed Kennedy, who shot wide from 25 yards. The Cheadle keeper then held a shot from Adio at the second attempt.

    More substitutions followed as Doherty came on in place of Stevie Taylor who had been injured moments earlier (57 mins) and then Lynsey returned to replace Adio in midfield (60 mins). Nelson soon shot very narrowly wide before Alty scored in a rather fortunate manner. Kennedy had advanced on the right and his clip into the box bobbled as the keeper came to deal with it and deceived him sufficiently to go past him into the net (62 mins). This misfortune prompted Cheadle to step up their game but the Alty back four kept them at bay. A misjudged back header by Melling almost let in Cheadle but their player was forced to the left of goal and only a corner resulted. Nelson then did well again and via Douthwaite, Kennedy got in a cross which Richards headed goalwards (73 mins). Cheadle now brought on a number 2 for Kempton (74 mins) just before Otis Thomas returned for Alty in place of Melling (76 mins). Almost immediately Cheadle were awarded a penalty, for a foul in the box. Fortunately for Alty, Wakefield smacked the spotkick comfortably wide of Blower's left post after the Alty keeper had dived to his right (77 mins).

    Chalmers then did well but the resulting shot from Nelson was narrowly wide (75 mins). After this, Otis Thomas had an effort blocked by the keeper before McDonald went down under a challenge from Blower but the referee waved play on for a corner to Cheadle (80 mins). Wakefield forced a save from Blower (83 mins) and then Cheadle won a corner off Marsden. Goalkeeper Blower was then called upon to make a great save at his near post from Redshaw (86 mins). Soon McDonald shot just over the bar (88 mins) but Alty spent much of the last couple of minutes in the Cheadle Town half and successfully retained their lead to record a deserved win. In the second half especially, Alty had looked the better side with Nelson and Richards lively up front. At the back Marsden marshalled a solid display with Matt Tooth continuing his consistent form of last season. Douthwaite, too, made a solid return to action after his recent illness.

    Several of the Alty reserves will feature in Wednesday evening's game against Old Altrinchamians, where they will play alongside Alty first team squad players.